Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Stuffed Pepper Soup

I love the idea of stuffed peppers, but they always seem to fall short in the flavor department. I found this recipe at skinnytaste.com that sounded delicious though so I decided to give stuffed peppers another try, and I'm so glad I did!


Stuffed Pepper Soup

  • 1 lb lean ground beef
  • 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1 cup finely diced onion
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 cans (14.5 oz each) cans petite diced tomatoes
  • 1 3/4 cups tomato sauce
  • 2 cups reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
  • 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
  • salt and fresh pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large pot or dutch oven, brown ground meat on high heat and season with salt.Drain fat if any, reduce heat to medium-low, then add peppers, onions and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes on low heat.

Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, marjoram and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Serve about 1 1/3 cups of soup in each bowl and top with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice and a handful of shredded cheddar cheese.


Notes:
*I added 1 can of Rotel (it just makes everything better)
* I also added a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce and some crushed red pepper

(This picture is from skinnytaste.com. We ate this too fast for me to snap one!)






No comments:

Post a Comment