Thursday, January 20, 2011

Tortilla Soup Recipe

I love pretty much all soups-there's nothing better on a cold night! I make a tortilla soup from one of my Mom's cookbooks (not sure why I have this cookbook? Sorry Mom!). It's healthy, easy, and YUMMY! You can see by the looks of the cookbook page that this one has been used a lot!
Here's the recipe:

2 chicken breasts
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 14.5 oz. cans of fat free chicken broth (I do low sodium too)
1 14.5 oz. can stewed, chopped tomatoes
1 clove garlic
4 oz. green chilies
1/2 package dry taco seasoning (They now make this in low sodium too!)
1/2 cup fat free sour cream
6 corn tortillas, cut or torn into about 1" pieces (this is really the only recipe I make that uses these, so when I buy a package I use the 6, then put the rest in the freezer for next time-works perfectly!)

Brown chicken pieces in large pot sprayed with cooking spray. Add onion and celery and continue to brown. Add all remaining ingredients, except sour cream and tortillas, and simmer 15 minutes.

Add sour cream and simmer 1-2 minutes. Add tortillas and simmer 3-4 minutes.
I usually squeeze fresh lime juice on top, and it's great topped with fresh avacado. I'm thinking of maybe adding black beans next time too.

Here's the finished product:
This stuff is seriously good!


No comments:

Post a Comment